|Faculty & Staff|
Mrs. Daly - 4A
Welcome to Fourth Grade
Dear Fourth Grader:
We have planned many exciting activities for the start of school. We want you to be ready to get started, so we have made a list of supplies that you will need. We also have summer reading and math assignments.
This summer, you are expected to read at least two chapter books that are not too easy and not too hard. Below is a suggested list, but be aware that you can choose any two chapter books that you are able to easily access over the summer.
Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
Third Grade Angels by Jerry Spinelli
Fourth Grade Rats by Jerry Spinelli
Who was Malala Yousafzai by Dinah Brown
Who was Thomas Alva Edison by Margaret Firth
During these uncertain times, it may be more difficult than usual to gain access to books. Below is a list of free resources that will allow you to easily read all summer long.
● The Ocean County and Monmouth County Library systems have elibraries that can be accessed using your public library card via free apps called Overdrive and Libby.
● If you do not have a public library card, you can apply for one for free online.
● Storylineonline.net is a great site where celebrities read aloud picture books to kids.
When the new school year begins, you will complete a book project about one of your books. Remember the best way to keep your reading skills fresh and to make progress as a reader is to read, read, read.
It is also important to practice math skills over the summer. Your 2020 Summer Math Assignment is to
sign in to IXL and either click on Recommendations (which is under Learning), or you may go directly to the Diagnostic Arena for a report with IXL skills tailored to your needs.
The only requirement for this summer math assignment is that you must complete a minimum of 4 hours of work on your personal recommendations .
Here is a list of supplies you will need:
• Theme Paper
• Box of Tissues
• Glue Stick
• (4) Folders
• (1) Blue Jay folder*
• Red Pens
• Earbuds for iPad use
• Assignment pad*
• Index Cards (3 x 5)
• Blue or Black erasable pens
• (1) Box Crayons or Markers
• (6) Marble notebooks
• (1) Ruler
• (2) Highlighter
• (5) Jumbo Book Sox
• Pencil Case (soft with zipper) Please no hard pencil boxes
• Merriam-Webster Spanish – English Dictionary
• Clear contact paper to cover all soft cover workbooks (3 rolls would be advisable)
*Those marked with an asterisk are to be purchased at St. Dominic School.*
Have a happy, healthy, and safe summer vacation. We are looking forward to meeting you
in the fall.
The Fourth Grade Teachers